Washington Parks & People is growing, and we have many opportunities to work with us. We view parks as a pathway out of poverty and into the opportunity that everyone in our city deserves.
Looking for an apprenticeship, to gain skills for the green economy while benefiting your local community at the same time? Learn more about the DC Green Corps program here. We are helping hundreds of people by giving them access to jobs in the green sector and beyond.
We also have a variety of internships that span the gamut from urban agriculture and landscaping, to digital media and communications, to development and program support. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the possibilities for interning with Parks & People.
Washington Parks & People Special Events Intern/Fellow
Job Description download: Campaign & Special Events Intern-Fellow Job Description (22 Feb-16) (1)
Title: Campaign & Special Events Intern/Fellow
Part Time: 25-40 hours/ week over a 12 month commitment
Starting Salary: unpaid, will offer college credit upon request
Location: Josephine Butler Parks Center, 2437 15th Street, NW (primary)
Occasional duties at the Riverside Center, 601 Division Avenue, NE
Summary of Position:
Washington Parks & People is seeking a motivated individual to join our Campaign & Special Events team! Positioned atop Meridian Hill/ Malcolm X Park, the Josephine Butler Parks Center serves as WPP’s home west of the Anacostia River and the site for beautiful events- from weddings, to fundraisers, to staff retreats. Our Italian Renaissance style mansion has been ranked ‘Best Wedding Venue in DC’ by DC City Paper two years in a row! All events hosted at the Parks Center serve the mission of WPP- to activate green spaces across the city and promote healthy living through park based activity and education. Our space East of the River, the Riverside Center, is a hub for local food production, community programming, and green learning. Our Events Intern/Fellow will work with the Special Events Manager to breathe life into parks across the city during its Think Outside campaign and beyond.
- Maintain bookings for private and partner event rentals, update event calendar, draft contracts, and manage event payments
- Assist with all internal and external inquiries and all pending and confirmed events
- Assist with upcoming and past events: draft thank you letters, file invoices, review pre-event forms and floor plans for upcoming events.
- Update website event page and work on evolving Social Media content for the JBPC
- Build upon relationships with existing vendors and build relationships with new event vendors
- Lead tours of the JBPC at least once a week
- Work with WPP team to plan Campaign events and other public outreach programs
- Assist in organizing community open houses
- Set up JBPC equipment, as needed
- Design opportunities to represent Parks & People’s mission at each event and also encourage guests to help volunteer, join, give, and partner
- Ability to work in a collaborative way with a small staff
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to multi-task, problem solve, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and enjoy working with a variety of people
- Resourceful, flexible, and a self starter
- Background and interest in events
- Interest and/or experience in marketing
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent computer skills
- Passionate about the mission of WPP
Washington Parks & People is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or any other practices on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, or sexual orientation.