Washington Parks & People is growing, and we have many opportunities to work with us. We view parks as a pathway out of poverty and into the opportunity that everyone in our city deserves.
Looking for an apprenticeship, to gain skills for the green economy while benefiting your local community at the same time? Learn more about the DC Green Corps program here. We are helping hundreds of people by giving them access to jobs in the green sector and beyond.
We also have a variety of internships that span the gamut from urban agriculture and landscaping, to digital media and communications, to development and program support. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about the possibilities for interning with Parks & People.
We also welcome interested job applicants to submit their resume and a letter of interest at any time to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Special Events Intern/Fellow
Job Description download: Campaign & Special Events Intern-Fellow Job Description (22 Feb-16) (1)
Title: Campaign & Special Events Intern/Fellow
Part Time: 25-40 hours/ week over a 12 month commitment
Starting Salary: unpaid, will offer college credit upon request
Location: Josephine Butler Parks Center, 2437 15th Street, NW (primary)
Occasional duties at the Riverside Center, 601 Division Avenue, NE
Summary of Position:
Washington Parks & People is seeking a motivated individual to join our Campaign & Special Events team! Positioned atop Meridian Hill/ Malcolm X Park, the Josephine Butler Parks Center serves as WPP’s home west of the Anacostia River and the site for beautiful events- from weddings, to fundraisers, to staff retreats. Our Italian Renaissance style mansion has been ranked ‘Best Wedding Venue in DC’ by DC City Paper two years in a row! All events hosted at the Parks Center serve the mission of WPP- to activate green spaces across the city and promote healthy living through park based activity and education. Our space East of the River, the Riverside Center, is a hub for local food production, community programming, and green learning. Our Events Intern/Fellow will work with the Special Events Manager to breathe life into parks across the city during its Think Outside campaign and beyond.
- Maintain bookings for private and partner event rentals, update event calendar, draft contracts, and manage event payments
- Assist with all internal and external inquiries and all pending and confirmed events
- Assist with upcoming and past events: draft thank you letters, file invoices, review pre-event forms and floor plans for upcoming events.
- Update website event page and work on evolving Social Media content for the JBPC
- Build upon relationships with existing vendors and build relationships with new event vendors
- Lead tours of the JBPC at least once a week
- Work with WPP team to plan Campaign events and other public outreach programs
- Assist in organizing community open houses
- Set up JBPC equipment, as needed
- Design opportunities to represent Parks & People’s mission at each event and also encourage guests to help volunteer, join, give, and partner
- Ability to work in a collaborative way with a small staff
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to multi-task, problem solve, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and enjoy working with a variety of people
- Resourceful, flexible, and a self starter
- Background and interest in events
- Interest and/or experience in marketing
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent computer skills
- Passionate about the mission of WPP
Washington Parks & People is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or any other practices on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, or sexual orientation.
Events Team Member
Summary of Position:
The Event Team Member provides exceptional set up and breakdown of event space configurations at the Josephine Butler Parks Center and in the process demonstrates the mission of Parks & People. The Event Team Member will provide primary set up and breakdown responsibilities each week at Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday events, as well as at least one weekday event. This person will also provide
The Event Host reports to the Campaign & Special Events Manager.
This position is a part-time (10 hours per week), independent contractor position.
- Set up and break down of tables and chairs for allevents
- Provide full-cleaning of the 5000 sq. ft. facility, to include dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, window cleaning and sanitizing all surfaces (Weekends only)
- Organizing ofevent related material
- Other duties as needed
- Ability to maintain composure during high stress situations
- Excellent team-player
- Commitment to work overnight, some weekday evenings and most weekends
- Absolute reliability and responsibility
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on occasion
- Knowledge of janitorial and sanitation best practices preferred
- Attention to detail
Please send a resume and cover letter with the job title in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant Writing Consultant
Washington Parks & People’s mission is to grow city-wide park-based community health & vitality through innovation & partnerships. As part of its 25th anniversary, Parks & People has launched the Think Outside campaign, which aims to encourage DC residents, public and private agencies, and community organizations to find new solutions to community health issues by thinking outside of traditional responses and by looking to the parks for possibilities. As part of its goal to increase and strengthen funding & resource development to achieve citywide impact, Parks & People is seeking a Grant-writing Consultant to provide grant-writing support for major development initiatives this year.
The Consultant will work under the direction of Parks & People’s Development team to provide strategic support to research, writing and compiling of strategic grant opportunities in 2016-17.
Type of contract: Independent Contract
Total hours: TBD depending on assignment and number of assignments
1. Become knowledgeable and conversant about Parks & People’s Think Outside campaign and its four program areas (GreenCorps; Community Harvest; Heart & Soul; Education, Outreach & ParkArts) in order to effectively respond to grant opportunities and writing tasks;
2. Coordinate with WPP staff to ensure key messages across grants and program development are consistent with campaign and program efforts;
3.Leverage experience and knowledge of funders and grant mechanisms to provide assessment and recommendations for grant development;
4. Work with the Development team to manage grant and major donor research, development, metrics, writing, and submissions.
· Excellent writing skills· 5+ years experience writing grants for city and federal government and foundation grants · 3+ years experience handling communications for the purposes of soliciting individual, foundation, corporate or government support · Responsible and responsive to Parks & People staff requests for information, updates, etc · Experience working in the non-profit sector in Washington, DC · Strong familiarity with Parks & People’s work and mission.
Please send a resume, cover letter, 3 references and writing sample(s), with the job title in the subject line, to email@example.com.